A Potential Fire Hazard
The number three most common cause for home fires is careless smoking. Things like falling asleep while smoking or improperly extinguishing a cigarette can lead to a catastrophe. A Cleaner World’s Restoration Dry Cleaning division has helped clean up a few catastrophes and has some smoking-related tips to help you avoid a tragedy.
- Make smoking in the bedroom off-limits.
- Never smoke when you are exceptionally tired, and keep an eye on smokers that seem especially tired.
- Be sure to extinguish cigarettes all the way every time before leaving any area.
- Use an ashtray, never anything like an empty soda can, and place it on something sturdy away from flammable items. Make sure it is sitting on a stable surface.
- Be certain that the ashtray itself is sturdy and has a wide base so that it won’t tip over.
- Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away.
- If you are having a party or gathering, give the smoking area a walk through to make sure everything is as it should be before leaving or retiring for the evening.
- Smoking only outside reduces the chance of a home fire but many of the above tips still apply, like using a proper ashtray, keeping it on a sturdy surface and away from flammable objects, and making sure to fully extinguish your cigarette before leaving the area.
In addition to these tips, make it a habit to regularly check your smoke detectors to ensure they are always is working order. If you should ever experience the devastation of a home fire, call Greg Henderson at (336) 804-0045 for an immediate response. A Cleaner World Restoration Dry Cleaning can professionally and compassionately clean and restore your belongings.