A Cleaner World Blog
Tips for Finding a Quality Tailor
Finding the perfect tailor is like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I would not say it’s impossible, but it is certainly a challenge. A tailor is much more than someone that takes in your pants, they have the unique ability to take off-the-rack clothing and make it look like a custom piece.
Years ago, I learned my lesson when I asked a friend of a friend to take in some dress pants for me. She came highly recommended, but the outcome was missing belt loops and small holes in my pants. Sometimes a friend recommending a friend works out well, and sometimes it does not. Once you have your list of recommendations, then get to work.
1. Check References. Tailors are like all other professionals; they should have samples of their work and a list of references you can call. If they are not willing to provide both, they aren’t the one. In addition, check Yelp and Google reviews.
2. Do a Test Run. Do not be like me and take eight pairs of pants at once. Take a simple piece for a trial run and see if you like the results before requesting something more complicated.
3. Communicate Clearly. Be incredibly specific about what you want; a good tailor will not be offended. In fact, a good tailor would prefer you over-communicate so you will not be disappointed with the results.
4. Be Realistic. Depending on the complexity of the changes and the number of pieces, your order could take longer than you expected. Give yourself and your tailor plenty of time to complete the project properly.
5. Talk about Money. Discuss the cost at the very beginning. Many tailors do not post price lists because each piece varies by individual.
Of course, you can always rely on A Cleaner World to help you with clothing, draperies, and linens alterations and repairs. If you have questions about alterations or tailoring, feel free to send us a message.