A Cleaner World Blog
How to Care for Your Clothes Between Cleanings
A while back, we put out an Infographic outlining how often you should wash or dry clean particular garments. On things like undergarments, swimwear, men’s dress shirts, and t-shirts, we recommended laundering after each wearing. But on things like suits, jackets and blazers, and dresses, we suggested wearing anywhere from 2-5 times, and on neckties, we believe you should only clean them when needed.
When it comes to fine garments and formal wear, especially when you may wear an item only 2-3 hours at a time, there’s no need to spend a bunch of money to get it cleaned (unless you get something on it, it is exceptionally hot that day, or it is going to sit in your closet for a long period of time before wearing again) when there are a few things you can do at home to keep those garments in pristine condition.
Clothing Care Tips
- After wearing, hang suits on a good-quality, sturdy, wooden hanger so that it doesn’t become misshapen. Hang all other garments on the hanger designed for that particular garment.
- Be sure to empty contents from all the pockets so that no stretching or sagging will occur.
- Remove belts and accessories, including neckties and properly store those items away.
- Use a clothes brush to remove dust, debris, and dirt.
- If your garments are excessively wrinkled, use a hand-held steamer or hang near a running shower to loosen wrinkles. Allow to completely dry before putting away.
- Never put damp or wet items in a closet because it will lead to mildewing.
- Finally, if you are concerned about dust settling on the shoulders, cover the top with a white sheet or cloth or ask us for some dust covers.
Our job at A Cleaner World is to make you look good in everything that you wear, so if you have a question about caring for your finer wears, or any wears for that matter, just stop by one of our locations. We are happy to help.