A Cleaner World Blog
Caring for Velvet
I never know when Velvet is in-fashion or out-of-fashion because it seems to bounce back and forth so frequently, but I can tell you that I’ve had a few Velvet dresses over the years, most especially when I was a little girl. I can also tell you that Velvet can be a temperamental fabric to care for.
What exactly is Velvet fabric?
It’s a woven tufted fabric, made of either synthetic or natural fibers, where the cut threads are consistently disbursed, in a short dense pile, making it feel ‘velvety’ soft. Before automation, Velvet was quite expensive to make because it is woven on a special loom that weaves two widths of the fabric at once. After woven, the two pieces are cut apart, resulting in its pile. Then the two lengths of fabric are wound on separate take-up rolls.
What kinds of problems can you experience with Velvet?
- Loss of pile
- Flattening and matting
- Pilling and tufting
What’s the best way to care for my Velvet garments?
- Always check the care label before providing any care; some velvets are dry clean only while others can be machine washed.
- Never iron Velvet. This will crush the fibers, and the iron can leave an imprint.
- To remove wrinkles either use a steamer but be sure to turn the garment inside out, or hang the wrinkled garment in a steamy bathroom, but away from the water.
- If the garment does get wet, don’t apply any pressure to it; doing so can flatten the pile.
- If you spill something on your Velvet garment, STOP. Remember that the pile flattens easily, so leave the spill alone until you get home. Then, be sure to follow the care label.
- Clean Velvet garments after each wear.
- Hang Velvet garments in a well-ventilated closet.
- To store, gently stuff the garment with tissue paper and lay flat inside a garment box. Never fold Velvet, especially for long periods of time.
Of course, if you have concerns about caring for your Velvet garments at home, you can always drop them off at any one of our A Cleaner World locations. That’s what we’re here for.