A Cleaner World Blog
Caring for Golf Shirts
I frequently like to poke fun at my husband. I like to say he has uniforms for all the things he does; for instance, his work around the house uniform is one of many old t-shirts and a pair of holey jeans. His evening wardrobe is what we call couch-potato pants and a white Hanes t-shirt. Finally, his work uniform is a golf shirt and a pair of Levi’s, but if he’s trying to impress, he’ll wear khakis with his golf shirt.
The truth is that the golf shirt is a wardrobe staple for most men. They work really well for business casual, plus they can easily transition to outdoor activities or dinner out. Golf shirts do have their downsides; for instance, the collar ends can curl, the collar fold gets out of position, and certain fabrics can be unpredictable. But if you provide the proper care for your golf shirts, they can look terrific for many years to come.
- Always check the care label before washing. If there is no care label, we recommend washing in cold water and either line drying or drying in the dryer on the lowest heat setting.
- Wash with similar colors and fabric weights. If it’s the first time washing and the shirt is a bright color, you may want to wash it by itself to prevent dye bleeding.
- To reduce color loss, turn the shirt inside out before washing.
- Use a gentle liquid laundry detergent.
- Remove as soon as the wash cycle is completed.
- Follow the care label’s recommendations for drying. One way to make sure the shirt retains its shape is to allow it to dry flat on a towel, making sure you shape it and fold the collar properly.
- You can either fold or hang golf shirts once they are ready to put away. If hanging, use a sturdy hanger that will provide the proper support. Make sure it is broad enough to fill out the shoulder area and shape the collar properly before hanging. One benefit of hanging is that it reduces wrinkling. If you are short on closet space, you can fold your golf shirts but do so using the method they do when folding polos at clothing stores. The benefit of this method is that you avoid any shoulder-area stretching issues.
A Cleaner World is an expert at caring for golf and polo shirts. Our detergents are safe for any type of fabric, and we’ll finish them so that they look better than they did the day you brought them home from the store.